Re: small change, groundwork for larger one

> It's used by alpha, sparc and mips for routines like what you describe.
> Maybe that code is stale now, but it does look pretty recent.

I wasn't keeping track.  It should be left as it is then.

> I put them there because I was thinking of gnulib as a directory for
> miscellaneous internal code.  They can certainly be moved.

Nope, it's not; it's for functions gcc generates calls to.  Miscellaneous
code goes in misc; the only directories one could say are for "internal"
code are csu and elf.

> Daah, I missed that.  Moving the subdirs setting might make sense; you could
> postulate other code that needs that too (except maybe it should be
> discouraged?)

It certainly should not be used by anything that doesn't need it for a good
reason.  But such changes can be evaluated on their individual merits when
they come up; it seems reasonable to move the list to Makeconfig
(especially since it's affected by config.make information).