Re: Possible inline malloc alternatives: bitmap

Ondřej Bílka wrote:

This is paywalled so I didn't read it.

You can freely read an older NightWatch paper here:

Guo R, Liao X, Jin H, Yue J, Tan G. NightWatch: Integrating Lightweight and Transparent Cache Pollution Control into Dynamic Memory Allocation Systems. USENIX ATC. 2015. 307-18. https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc15/atc15-paper-guo.pdf

Although NightWatch's source code is freely readable (it's on GitHub), it does not specify a software licence so I have not read it and don't recommend that you read it.

One problem is that it merges several different issues.

Yes, a problem common to many systems papers.

I didn't quite follow your profiling proposals. As near as I can make out you'd like to log calls to malloc, free, etc. But for good results don't you also need to log memory accesses? Otherwise how will you know which objects are hot?