Re: math/test-tgmath3 test case size...

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > It could easily enough be split up by function (list the functions in the
> > makefile, generate a .c file for each function, include a test that
> > verifies that the list of functions in the makefile does match the list in
> > the script itself of functions for which it can generate tests).  Tests of
> > fma make up nearly a third of the total, however (since that has the most
> > type-generic arguments).
>
> Could the generating script take a parameter N that says "emit every Nth
> function" and just generate, say, 10 files?  I.e. run "./generate 1
> test-tgmath3-1.c" then "./generate 2 test-tgmath3-2.c" etc ?

You'd be effectively generating all the tests 10 times and throwing most
of them away every time (though since the script takes under a second to
run, that may not be too much of a problem), whereas when generating 73
files, one for each of the 73 macros being tested, you could easily make
gen-tgmath-tests.py not do the work for the 72 macros it's not been asked
to generate tests for.  (Also, I'd rather that test names are meaningfully
stable rather than having test-tgmath3-1 mean something completely
different every time something about this test changes - though in this
case, either all of test-tgmath3 should pass, or there should be lots of
failures if there's been a buggy change to tgmath.h.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com