Re: strtok behaviour when uninitialized

On 02/11/2018 08:32 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
With my security hat on, I would like glibc to define as many cases of
undefined behavior as possible -- as prompt, guaranteed crashes.
Defining the behavior as anything else leads to people relying on
whatever the definition is, but leaving it as "whatever the code
happens to do"_also_  leads to people relying on the actual behavior,
plus it leaves room for exploits.

But in the case of strtok, the more relevant undefined behavior is that it's not thread-safe. There's a fairly large number of libraries which reference both pthread_create and strtok, which is rather sad.

Thanks,
Florian