Re: Hard links in glibc build?

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018, Stan Shebs wrote:

> In the course of building current glibc using Google's internal
> filesystems, we've run across a handful of places (nptl/Makefile etc) that
> use ln -f instead of the configure setting LN_S, but the filesystem we use
> for building does not allow hard links, and we've patched glibc locally to
> make symlinks, which seems to work fine.  Is there some arcane reason that
> these need to be hard links, or can everything be changed to use symlinks?

I'd expect copies to work.  For symlinks you'd need to check if the files
get installed (and make sure that any symlinks installed are actually
correct in the install directory), and that rebuilding the target of the
symlink doesn't confuse make.

localedef uses hard links in the non-archive locale installation case to
share data between different locales, but as far as I know it should still
work OK on a filesystem not supporting them.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com