Re: Possible additional Bugzilla components

On 01/24/2018 08:57 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> Looking at the large number of miscellaneous open bugs in the "libc"
> component, I'd like to suggest a few more possible Bugzilla components for
> distinct groups of those bugs:
>
> argparse - Command-line argument parsing (argp and getopt)

Agreed.

> crypt - libcrypt and related cryptographic functionality

Agreed.

> random - Random number generation interfaces

I would like to avoid this one and keep it in libc. I don't see this as
needing a distinct catgegory.

> unwind - Backtracing, unwind information and code and debugging utilities

Likewise I don't think this needs categorizing.

> Any comments on those possible components (or others that people think
> would be useful divisions of the open bugs)?

In general my opinion is that the bug categories have to line up with certain
key subsystems such that we can reasonably split the responsibilities among
those experts in the community that understand the subsystem.

I think argparse, and crypt are two good examples of choosing categories that
relate to distinct subsystems that will serve as useful groups.

Carlos.