Re: Upstreaming the glibc Hurd port

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Thomas Schwinge wrote:

> > - if the branch has sources that build for Hurd, I should have some chance
> > of using
> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/incubator.git/tree/cross-gnu?h=cross-gnu/master
> > to figure out how to do the Hurd-specific pieces that will need adding to
> > build-many-glibcs.py).
>
> Beware that this script is from many years ago -- from times before my
> dear CodeSourcery colleagues taught be how to ;-) properly build
> cross-compilers.  But yes, cross-gnu did work back then.
>
> Another thing to look into nowadays is David's (CCed) gnuxc,
> <http://mid.mail-archive.com/87r3vaw4os.fsf@gmail.com> "Scripts to build
> a Hurd distro", <https://github.com/dm0-/gnuxc> "GNU OS Cross-Compiler".
> (I have not yet looked into that one myself.)
>
> And, the Guix/Hurd effort also is capable of cross-compilation, as far as
> I remember.  But probably cross-gnu/gnuxc will already give you enough
> pointers of what needs to be done.

Do you have advice on versions to use of mig / gnumach / hurd?

Currently, build-many-glibcs.py uses (by default) release versions of most
components other than glibc itself, release branches for gcc / binutils.
Should the most recent releases from ftp.gnu.org of mig / gnumach / hurd
be used for building current glibc for Hurd, or is it preferable or
necessary to use newer development versions of those components?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com