Re: Sync gnulib regex with glibc

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Adhemerval Zanella
<adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org> wrote:
> The glibc testfile, bug-regex28.c, is related to BZ#3957 [1], which is not
> strictly related to RE_SYNTAX_{E}GREP definition. On gnulib side the change
> was done somewhat recently (2015) by 5a5a9388e.
>
> It does look like a correct change, but what I am worried from glibc
> standpoint is if it would require a compatibility implementation
> (potentially mapping RE_SYNTAX_{E}GREP to old definition on compat symbol).

I don't think that would actually help anything in this case. "This
program's embedded regexps are misinterpreted by a newer libc.so" is
not noticeably different from "This program's embedded regexps are
misinterpreted if the program has been recompiled with newer glibc".
Especially when it has to do with a corner case like whether . matches
\n.  Release notes are probably the best we can do here.

zw