Re: Fix regcomp.c build for 32-bit with GCC mainline

On 11/20/2017 03:18 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:

Why not use the already upstream fix from gnulib
(252b52457da7887667c036d18cc5169777615bb0) ?
That change would not apply cleanly to current sources,

That should be easy enough to fix. Proposed patch attached.

and if we have
over five years of regex changes out of sync with gnulib, it doesn't seem
a good idea to try to tie any possible resync with gnulib (in both
directions) to fixing build failures to make it possible to detect build
regressions when they occur (rather than piling one failure on top of
another that isn't yet fixed, so making it hard to determine the
problematic patch, which is the current state).

Although I didn't quite follow all that, I vaguely took it to mean "it's too much trouble to try to keep glibc regex code close to Gnulib". But if someone has taken the trouble to keep them closer (as in the attached patch) then we might as well keep them as close as we reasonably can. On the Gnulib side I've been trying to do that by merging glibc's changes, as in the patch I installed into Gnulib today:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=6dc8556f97cf3e7953249190b46465ad845761cf