Re: Glibc stable release process (Glibc 2.26.1)

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Okt 04 2017, Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@sourceware.org> wrote:
>
> > 0. Must not break ABI on that branch
>
> We must not break the ABI on any branch.  What you probably mean is that
> we must not extend the ABI on the release branch.

But we should not rule out applying fixes for past ABI breakage to a
release branch.  (E.g.
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-08/msg00900.html> - I'm not
asserting that particular patch is worth backporting, or would be
appropriate to apply to a release branch rather than a smaller fix for the
ABI issue, simply that fixing such a past ABI breakage on a release
branch, and thereby restoring a symbol that was previously wrongly lost,
is appropriate.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com