Re: Patch review by coworkers

On Wednesday 27 September 2017 04:45 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Red Hat now has several people who regularly work on upstream glibc.
> This raises questions regarding patch review.
>

> Does the community expect that we Red Hatters deal with patches from
> posting to commit, having colleagues doing the review etc.?  The
> argument in favor of that is that if something interests Red Hat, Red
> Hat should throw resources at it, and not rely on the community to do
> the work.
>
> -or-
>
> Does the community expect that we avoid patch review by coworkers?  The
> argument for that is that it avoids any incentive to game the review
> system, and it puts community interests first.
>

> Note that I'm talking about the ordinary day-to-day work here, not
> patches we know or have reason to suspect to be controversial.  And if
> we err, we can still revert patches, of course.

I use the following priority order for patch reviews (subject to time
availability of course):

1. Modules I maintain (benchtests, tunables, etc.)
2. Modules I am actively developing or interested in (aarch64, etc.)
3. Patches I am specifically pinged for, on list or off it
4. Oldest first in modules I am capable of reviewing

I would expect something similar from others too and prioritizing
colleagues' patches is probably fair game under point (2), so is
prioritizing patches for friends and commercial partners who make
requests offline to prioritize patches.  I'm just happy that there are
so many people working on glibc finally and as long as they review
patches of non-Red Hatters regularly enough (and I have had no reason to
complain so far) I think this is really fine.

Siddhesh