Re: Introduce en_EU?

On 08/08/2017 09:12 PM, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> 3.08.2017 12:23 Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 08/03/2017 10:54 AM, Mike FABIAN wrote:
>>> Yes,I think so, I could not find any reasons for this in the git log
>>> either, so I think it is just a mistake.
>>
>> The reason is that en_DK is used outside Denmark, as some sort of
>> generic continental European English locale.
>
> With all due respect, I can't see any reason why _DK was chosen
> to represent a generic continental European English locale.

It predates the EU and the ISO reservation.

> If such locale is actually needed, shouldn't we introduce en_EU
> instead?  _EU can be understood either as Europe or as European
> Union, both could be assumed valid.

ISO writes this about “EU”:

“Refers to European Union and reserved at the request of ISO 4217/MA
(March 1998) for ISO 6166, Securities - International securities
identification numbering system (ISIN).”

(See <https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/> under Country codes/Other
codes/Exceptionally reserved.)

Thanks,
Florian