Re: Removing ChangeLog [Was Re: 2.26 hard freeze status]

On 08/03/2017 06:22 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> To be clear, what is currently blocking us from not using the ChangeLog
> file?

The largest obstacle is that we currently do not have a culture of
reviewing commit message contents.  Dates are often wrong.  Authors
sometimes as well.  Some of the commit messages are excessive long.
Others do not even give a hint to what is being changed in the commit.
Most of the commits are perfectly acceptable (but slightly
inconsistent), but if we use the commit log as a data source for the
ChangeLog (or as a replacement), we'd have to improve things a bit, I think.

Thanks,
Florian