Re: Is it OK to write ASCII strings directly into locale source files?

On 07/24/2017 06:34 PM, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> 2. I don't know why this <U00xx> format was introduced.  I'm afraid that
>    nobody here knows and also I'm afraid there was a good reason to introduce
>    it.  Nobody knows what bugs will (re)appear if we revert to the more
>    readable format.

I asked Ulrich Drepper about this and his response was that the original design
was such that the locale source files could be convertible to any encoding
system and still work.

Given the ubiquity of UTF-8 today it seems like this goal is no longer as
important.

My opinion still stands that we should start with a limited set of characters
and see if we run into any problems.

Carlos.