Re: divdi3: incomplete fix in db3d848e154b?

On Mon, 15 May 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> produce a "true" divide-by-zero SIGFPE.  But why do we even _have_
> divdi3.c?  On architectures where libc.so needs to expose __divdi3,
> why are we not getting the definition from libgcc.a?

libgcc.a symbols are hidden symbols (to prevent them from being reexported
from shared libraries by accident, as happened in glibc 2.0 before they
were hidden and before symbol versioning).  And as far as I know, making a
symbol into a compat symbol (at least the way glibc does it) has to be
done in the same .o file that defines it, which obviously can't be done
when the implementation is from libgcc.a.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com