Re: [updated patch] malloc per-thread cache ready for review

On 03/10/2017 06:02 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

+typedef struct TCacheEntry {
+  struct TCacheEntry *next;
+} TCacheEntry;
+
+/* There is one of these for each thread, which contains the
+   per-thread cache (hence "TCache").  Keeping overall size low is
+   mildly important.  Note that COUNTS and ENTRIES are redundant, this
+   is for performance reasons.  */
+typedef struct TCache {
+  char counts[TCACHE_IDX];
+  TCacheEntry *entries[TCACHE_IDX];
+} TCache;

These type names remind me of Turbo Vision. I don't think we use the CamelCase convention in glibc. :)

I would like to see some discussion of the per-thread overhead the thread cache introduces, maybe along the documentation of the tunables, both the static overhead (due to new per-thread state) and some bounds on the additional per-thread allocation retention.

Thanks,
Florian