Re: PSA: glibc buildbot slave up for aarch64

On 04/28/2017 12:03 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Friday 28 April 2017 08:30 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> It is better in the long run to mark these XFAIL, associate them with a bug,
>> and have a green board. The green board makes it immediately easy to identify
>> breakage.
>>
>> The XFAIL is the encoding of expert knowledge. We _will_ get to fixing issues,
>> but we will do so based on priority order of the things we have in the bugzilla
>> and things identified by the community.
>
> My concern is that we won't get to fixing things urgently enough given
> that technical debt repayment has not been a priority for us
> traditionally.  That is not to say that nobody does it - we have fixed a
> huge pile of issues over the years.  It is just that we don't invest the
> kind of resources that we should and as a result a number of issues that
> are of medium/low priority stay languishing in there forever.  The red
> buildbot is hopefully enough of an eyesore to get to fixing things
> sooner rather than later.

The concern about technical debt repayment will not be fixed by XFAIL
management, it will be fixed by each of the senior community members lobbying
and slowly building back a large community of engaged and interested developers.
We can't do that if our failure list is large and undocumented (no XFAIL data,
and no bugs filed).

I don't think any red buildbot will solve this problem, it will only make it
harder to recruit junior people who don't understand why it's red.

Carlos.