Re: PSA: glibc buildbot slave up for aarch64

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:

> On Thursday 27 April 2017 07:36 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > Can we XFAIL this for AArch64 to get a clean build?
> >
> > One think I'd like to see is more clean builds regardless of failures.
> >
> > The buildbots _must_ be all green for them to mean anything.
>
> I can't convince myself of this - marking testsuite failures as XFAIL
> seems like putting things under the rug.  We as a community are not that
> great in pulling things back out from under the rug and cleaning them up
> for real because of the kind of resources we have, so what goes under
> the rug essentially stays under the rug.

Bugzilla is how we track known bugs.  Just because a particular bug causes
a test failure, or a failure on a system with a buildbot, doesn't make it
more important than others.  It's true we have too many open bugs needing
fixing, and that simply saying "this test fails for me" (or, worse, "this
omnibus set of possibly unrelated tests all fail for me") is not a good
bug report without sufficient analysis to show it's a bug in glibc and
identify any relevant conditions for it to fail.

It's a lot friendlier for users and distributors if our collective
knowledge about expected failures is reflected in XFAILs (with appropriate
comments referencing the bugs in Bugzilla) than if people need to refer to
lists on the wiki to identify whether particular failures are known.

> I would prefer if for now red buildbot statuses become release blockers
> for 2.26.  Once 2.26 is released, any failure should either be
> immediately fixed or the offending patch reverted.

That logic would say the hppa build failures should have resulted in the
reversion of the NPTL changes causing them, if someone had an hppa
buildbot.  We need to judge case by case how important a given regression
is (and for non-regression failures - in which category I include failures
from a newly added test that only works on some platforms - I don't think
they're generally going to be release blockers).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com