Re: Removing the glibc NaCl port

On 04/13/2017 07:44 PM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:

On 13/04/2017 12:45, Florian Weimer wrote:
I just realized that my pipe2 removal probably breaks the NaCl port.

Can we remove it?  It blocks useful cleanups which are compatible with the out-of-tree Hurd port.

I don't think anyone has ever reported test results for release builds. scripts/build-many-glibcs.py lacks support for it, so we don't even know if it still builds.

I hope this proposal is not too controversial.

Also last time I check from official documentation [1], it uses ancient
version without any documentation to actually build/check glibc on it.
I have the impression it is bit-rotten for some time.

If the idea is to keep supporting, I think we need at least proper
documentation on how to actually build and tests, preferable with
build-many-glibc.py support.

[1] https://developer.chrome.com/native-client/sdk/download

There is a Git repository with a NaCl port to GCC 4.9, it seems:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/native_client/nacl-gcc/+/ng/4.9/master

Version-wise, this is sufficient to build glibc (unlike the GCC-4.4-derived version in Fedora). I have not checked if it actually works. GCC upstream no longer supports any of the 4.x branches, so this is a dead end anyway.

The NaCl SDK seems to have switched to Clang/LLVM, and therefore cannot build glibc anymore. (I checked the pepper_56 bundle.)

Thanks,
Florian