Re: Tunables-related security regression

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > We have three different kinds of environment variables:
> >
> >   (1) variables which are removed when AT_SECURE is active
> >   (2) variables which are ignored when AT_SECURE is active
> >       (but they are passed to subprocesses, where AT_SECURE
> >       may not be in effect)
> >   (3) variables which are not treated in any special way
> >
> > LD_DEBUG is in category (1), HESIOD_CONFIG is in (2), and TZ is in (3).
>
> We should probably not have category (2) at all.  If a variable is
> unsafe for direct use in an AT_SECURE process, it is almost certainly
> also unsafe for use in a non-AT_SECURE process *when invoked as a
> subprocess of an AT_SECURE process*.

I tend to agree.  Now can you persuade POSIX of that
<http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=922>?  (It's *also* true as
discussed in that bug report that the cases where such variables are
unsafe are cases where the AT_SECURE process should be using a whitelist,
not a blacklist, to set up the subprocess environment, but that shouldn't
disallow useful practical security measures such as removing unsafe
environment variables.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com