Re: getentropy for <unistd.h>

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 1:50 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> It's not in 4.3BSD either, and if __USE_MISC is intended to be restricted to
> those definitions (or those of similar vintage), then __USE_MISC would not
> be correct.
>
> If __USE_MISC is free to involve, pretty much like __USE_GNU, then this is
> not a problem.  But it's not clear to me if this is the intent.

It seems to me that the *useful* distinction between __USE_MISC and
__USE_GNU nowadays is: __USE_MISC is for non-standardized features
that are visible by default, __USE_GNU is for non-standardized
features that are only visible when requested with -D_GNU_SOURCE.

So the decision to make when choosing between the two is "should this
be visible by default?" I would personally tend to err on the side of
"no" when adding new things to core headers like unistd.h.

zw