Re: 2.25 freeze - a little more than the holiday fortnight to go

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, Florian Weimer wrote:

> On 12/21/2016 10:18 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> > I'm dubious about keeping piling on "blockers" without evidence that there
> > are actually people to review the patches no later than 31 December
> > (earlier than that if revisions and re-review are needed).
>
> My understanding of the meaning of “release blocker” and “freeze” is quite
> different.  An accepted release blocker can be fixed *in* the freeze period.
> As a result, I have been focusing on things that are clearly *not* release
> blockers, and my attention will shift after January 1st.

In my view, the freeze period is for architecture testing and
stabilization, and people doing such testing need to be able to plan to
start it on 1 January / 1 July, not on some unknown later date after
"blocker" features have gone in.  Thus it's inappropriate to add tunables,
new condvar and rwlock, or any other such substantial
architecture-independent changes that would invalidate architecture
testing, after 31 December.

The other things listed as blockers are architecture-specific so
implementing them during the freeze should be OK if people testing on
those architectures are OK with it.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com