Re: [PR19826] fix non-LE TLS in static programs

On 12/02/2016 10:25 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 09/29/2016 09:04 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> On 09/20/2016 10:21 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>>> Ok to install?
>>>
>>> for  ChangeLog
>>>
>>>     [BZ #19826]
>>>     * elf/dl-tls.c (_dl_allocate_tls_init): Restore DTV early
>>>     initialization of static TLS entries.
>>>     * elf/dl-reloc.c (_dl_nothread_init_static_tls): Likewise.
>>>     * nptl/allocatestack.c (init_one_static_tls): Likewise.
>>
>> Alex is going to hand this patch off to me to champion and finish
>> iterating on with the rest of the interested developers (Andreas, Torvald,
>> Florian).
>>
>> I'll work up a version 2 right now and post it shortly.
>
> What's the status here? It seems that Alexandre committed it on
> September 22nd, despite Torvald's objections.

Alex should not have committed this patch without consensus.

It was my intent to rework the patches to the point where they
meet the community standard for P&C work. In fact I'm reviewing
Szabolcs Nagy's high-level design on how to fix the P&C issues
in TLS.

In this case Andreas Schwab gave an ACK for the patch but Torvald
had requested further clarification. Alex should have waited to
resolve the issues with Torvald or asked Torvald if his objections
constituted a sustained objection (blocks consensus and the patch).

> This patch broke non-optimized global-dynamic TLS on aarch64 (for
> shared builds), as shown by my new tst-tls-manydynamic test case.

Does reverting Alex's patch fix tst-tls-manydynamic?

Carlos.