Re: GLIBC bug list on sourceware.org

On 10/30/2016 12:41 AM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
>> We just need to target the incoming bugs and drive them to conclusion.
>
> In GCC, that is what I try to do; though the number of bugs reported
> are high and many include missed optimization which are not easy to
> fix right away.  What I also have been trying to do is clean up the
> much older ones which are more than 3-4 years old now.  This week GCC
> is -2 but the week before is +17 and week before that was +3; overall
> in the last year GCC is +536 (more than one a day).  For GCC, the C++
> front-end is the area which has gotten out of control; not enough
> developers :(.  Anyways this is getting offtopic now but it shows how
> you can track things a little bit and how things can speed out of
> control if an area is not covered by enough developers.

Then we need to convince our employers that more C++ front-end developers
are needed to fix the problems. But we won't know this if we don't track
the bugs and try to understand where our users are having problems.

On a positive note the Red Hat investments in malloc (DJ) and the stub
resolver (Florian) are directly driven by analyzing bugs and user
feedback.

Cheers,
Carlos.