Re: Adding cache shape info to powerpc

On 08/18/2016 02:17 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 10:36 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
I've chosen this format. Is that ok with the community ? Can I still use
the same AT_* vector numbers or should I create new ones ?

If the old format was in mainline at any point (or in a vendor kernel,
but let's hope vendors don't do this anymore), you need to pick new numbers.

Do you expect that IFUNC resolvers will need this information?

The old format was only used by other architectures, not powerpc, do I
still need to pick different numbers in that case ?

It seems the old entries are still used by some architectures (alpha and sh). I think it would be better to use new numbers for the new format, so that applications can use getauxval and decode the results if the data is available, without the need for CPU-specific conditionals to determine the format.

For glibc itself, we do not have a strong preference, but I think convenience application developers matters.

Thanks,
Florian