Re: Adding __float128 (i.e TS 18661-3)

On 05/06/2016 01:55 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016, Joseph Myers wrote:

Working out the exact set of additions to the ABI and the API is the most
critical thing to get consensus on.

I should add: it's also the thing where it's most important to get views
from a range of glibc developers in the discussion, not simply to rely on
my views as libm maintainer of appropriate interfaces.  New interfaces,
especially large sets of new interfaces as here, are an area where a wider
consensus is desirable than just agreement of the relevant subsystem
maintainer with lack of specific objections stated by anyone else.

I find it very difficult to comment on this because I don't know how the existing ldbl framework works.

I assume it is used to implement a C version of C++ function templates such as

  template <class LongDoubleType> int
  vfprintf (FILE *s, const CHAR_T *format, va_list ap);
22
calling other function templates like

  template <class LongDoubleType> int
  __printf_fp_l (FILE *fp, locale_t loc,
                 const struct printf_info *info,
                 const void *const *args);

with a matching LongDoubleType argument. But I don't know how it works in detail, and how unintended spillover between different copies is prevented. (C++ has name mangling for that.)

Florian