Re: malloc: performance improvements and bugfixes

On 01/26/2016 08:53 AM, Jörn Engel wrote:
> But if people are asked not to even look at my code, I cannot help but
> wonder how this is supposed to help the free software movement or
> anything else.

I think the world benefits from having a free software C run-time
library with a clear overall copyright situation.  But this means that
once you work on the library, you need to be aware how your
contributions come into being and to what degree they are influenced by
the work of others.

Sometimes, the results can be quite annoying.  For example, we have a
patch intertwined with a bug report, and we cannot clarify its copyright
situation, so someone wrote down the analysis in their own words, so
that someone else can re-create the fix from scratch, without looking at
the original patch submission.  But there really isn't a way around that.

This is independent of the copyright assignment situation.  Copyright
assignment (or formal contribution agreements) just make you more aware
of this obligation to the community.

Florian