Re: malloc: performance improvements and bugfixes

Thanks for doing all the work and bringing it to our attention. A couple of comments on the process:

On 01/25/2016 04:24 PM, Joern Engel wrote:
I happen to prefer the kernel coding style over GNU coding style.

Nevertheless, let's keep the GNU coding style for glibc. In some places the existing code doesn't conform to that style but that can be fixed as we go.

I believe there are some applications that
have deeper knowledge about malloc-internal data structures than they
should (*cough*emacs).  As a result it has become impossible to change
the internals of malloc without breaking said applications

This underestimates Emacs. :-)

Emacs "knows" so much about glibc malloc's internal data structures that Emacs should do the right thing if glibc removes the hooks in question. Of course we should test the resulting combination. However, the point is that Emacs's usage of glibc malloc internals shouldn't ossify glibc malloc.