Subject: glibc and unexec
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:05:59 -0500
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: glibc-sc@gnu.org

I was taken aback by this message to emacs-devel:

    Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>
    this is a heads-up that glibc malloc will likely remove support code for
    the Emacs unexec mechanism during the coming year.

    This only affects the glibc API, so Emacs is unlikely to compile from
    source until you remove the undump mechanism.

When you consider making a change that will break other GNU packages
in a way that is hard to fix, you must not decide unilaterally.  All
the more so, when the package is as important as Emacs.  We need
package maintainers to cooperate.

Please have a discussion with the Emacs developers and decide together
which course of action is best for the GNU system, and what time scale
for that action fits the release schedules best.

Please ack.  Then I will send mail to you and John Wiegley to get that
discussion started.

If you and he agree to follow the plan you have in mind, it probably
requires making a new release of Emacs 24, and perhaps some older
releases.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

Mark Brown