Re: Is C11 threads support really wanted in glibc?

On 15-01-2016 07:06, Juan Manuel Torres Palma wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As some of you know, I have been doing some work regarding C11 threads as I
> found an open bug on Bugzilla to add support for them.
>
> Over the last year, and on and off, I have submitted some patches and some
> of you have guided me through the process but now that it's working and
> just some review is required, the last patches, even after a few pings
> didn't get much attention, so I would like to ask the people involved here:
>
> Is it _really_ desired or wanted to add support for ISO C11 threads.h?

Usually developers that venture in GLIBC or other open source project see lack
of review as a lack of interest. It may be the case, but for GLIBC in particular
is usually lack of resource, where we have quite limited number of reviewers
that appraise, check, and/or test the patches.

Also, in my view GLIBC new features development process is usually driven by
the patch proposer. So the work of pushing, ping, discussing, and eventually
applying is up to the person that initially sent the patch. It is not that
GLIBC developers do not see new features as important, but rather because
there is a *huge* backlog of patches, bug, other improvements and we need
to being kept nagging about new patches.

> Even though I'm doing this just to learn and contribute to the open source
> community, I would like to know if I should keep trying with this, or focus my
> efforts in other features of glibc.
>
> Please, I don't want to create any controversy here, just your honest
> opinion to focus my efforts on this or in something new.

So I would ask you to continue pinging and asking for review. Usually it is
good to resent the patches to stir more discussion. Do not feel discouraged
that the patch is not reviewed!