Re: Fix nan functions handling of payload strings (bug 16961, bug 16962)

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, Florian Weimer wrote:

> On 11/27/2015 01:26 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
>
> > Carlos, the NEWS entry is a consequence of what you said in
> > <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2015-10/msg00776.html> about
> > security+ bugs (such as this one, involving an unbounded stack
> > allocation from what could theoretically be untrusted input) getting
> > such entries.  Does it seem right to you?  Once the NEWS entry is
> > resolved, I intend to commit this patch.
>
> > +* The nan, nanf and nanl functions no longer have unbounded stack usage
> > +  depending on the length of the string passed as an argument to the
> > +  functions.  Reported by Joseph Myers.
> > +
>
> I think reporters of security bugs want their bugs marked as security
> bugs.  This could be achieve by putting them into a separate section, or
> adding a “SECURITY: ” prefix or something like that.

Any other comments on the NEWS entry, supposing such a prefix to be added?

Will someone check for any other security+ bugs that have already been
fixed for 2.23 and ensure that appropriately marked NEWS entries are added
for them?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com