Re: [COMMITTED] tile: define __NO_LONG_DOUBLE_MATH

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015, Chris Metcalf wrote:

> as well, so it seemed uncontroversial.  And I only chose 2.12 on the theory
> that they
> should have been exported then.  I don't really care what version I export

That's not how things work.  The version is always the version where the
symbols were actually first exported, not where they "should" have been
exported; you never add symbols to a past release version.  See exp2l in
math/Versions or fallocate64 in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/<various 32-bit
architectures>/Versions for examples.

> them as, since there's really no way for userspace to generate a
> reference to them,

Which is why it would be optimal not to export them at all.

> what would be cleaner here and I am happy to make the change, but it does seem
> like it should be a change for every platform without long double, not just
> tile.

Well, you don't remove symbols from old versions either.  Optimally the
default should be that they aren't exported, with existing no-long-double
platforms that had the exports defining some macro in their sysdeps files
(e.g. math_private.h) to cause them to be exported (and ideally causing
them to be exported as compat symbols only, given that it's not possible
for the headers to generate references to them).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com