Re: Another way to salvage Annex K and its constraint handler

On 11/20/2015 08:35 PM, Rich Felker wrote:

> dlopen is outside the scope, but the behavior of a conforming program
> that just happens to be dynamic-linked rather than static-linked is
> not outside the scope. You cannot just ignore the constraint handler
> set by one function because it happened to be performed from code in a
> different DSO. What DSO the code lies in is an implementation detail.
> And of course such a "solution" does nothing for static linking
> anyway.

I'm not sure if I agree, at least as far as C is concerned.  Windows has
much more DLL-local state than we do, and that's not a reason why it's
non-complaint.  With a functioning dlmopen, we get much more of such
state, if we like it or not.

We already make many callbacks DSO-local (atexit, pthread_create_key),
so that you don't get segfaults when a DSO is unloaded.  The constraint
handler would just be another such callback, but there are other
benefits as well (the locking aspect).

Florian