Re: Other ISO C TR / TS / standard optional APIs

On Thu, 2015-11-12 at 23:05 -0200, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:

> On 12-11-2015 22:16, Torvald Riegel wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 21:43 +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> >> * C11 threads.  I believe we have consensus that these are appropriate
> >> (for libpthread).  The patches submitted in August need substantive review
> >> from a threads expert, as well as revisions for my review comments last
> >> month.
> >
> > I agree :)
> >
> > There might a Transactional Memory TS coming in the future, but that
> > support is already in GCC/libitm (which makes sense given

... that it is a feature that relies on compiler support).  The other TS
that may come to life is the CPLEX TS, which would likely be implemented
in GCC too.

> I think you sent your email too early ;).  I also agree and given the
> time frame I think it is feasible to try push C11 threads to 2.23.
> I will check out the patches to see what bits are missing.

I also plan to review those patches closely.  There are a few cases
where we might want to think about not just using the POSIX
implementation.  I'm still wondering whether we should try to make the
mutex space overhead smaller.