Re: Env var to tunable mapping?

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 01:33:21PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> To be clear it was Roland McGrath who supported the position that we have
> a single env var for all tunables. I heard no other opinions for this case.
>
> I do not support that position. I posit we should have one tunable per env
> var, and that we should follow namespace rules for those env vars e.g.
> always start with GLIBC_*. There is precedent for this, the Gnome xdg-app
> framework is already exporting XDG_* env vars in a sensible namespace, and
> as a framework just above us, they already have to deal with this kind of
> pseudo-API.

I am still ambivalent about this.  I don't see there being too many
tunables, so a single string should be fairly easy to parse and write.
That said, this is an advantage for the individual envvars too, since
we won't have too many environment variables to manage.  The single
environment variable has an additional advantage; the tunable list can
be initialized very early and will likely be cheaper than having to
traverse the environment for each environment variable.

Siddhesh