Re: Is Y2038-proofing in a glibc roadmap somewhere?

Hi Joseph,

Le Wed, 22 Jul 2015 14:26:10 +0000, Joseph Myers
<joseph@codesourcery.com> a Ãcrit :

> On Thu, 9 Jul 2015, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
>
> > I'll take this as a no. :)
> >
> > I will therefore start working on it myself, based on Arnd's input.
> >
> > I intend to make my work available on a regular basis, probably as a git
> > repo as well as (RFC) patches to this list. Is this ok?
>
> First, please see the contribution checklist on the wiki.  In particular,
> you should make sure your copyright assignment is in place at an early
> stage; glibc reviewers are unlikely to want to look at all at any
> substantial changes without an assignment in place.

I've just received my copy of the copyright assignment signed by the
FSF. Should I make it available somewhere for the glibc folks to see?

> Second, I advise starting by posting an extended design document
> describing your proposed design and how various issues will be addressed,
> to avoid expending large amounts of work on an approach with fundamental
> design issues.  I think the basic requirements are clear - a macro
> _TIME_BITS=64, that is only accepted in conjunction with
> _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, that causes affected functions and types to be
> mapped to versions using 64-bit time_t, while keeping all existing ABIs
> as-is; that is necessitated by the basic requirement of keeping full
> compatibility with all existing binaries.  But you need to expand that
> summary from sentence length to essay length, making a thorough analysis
> of all the issues involved.

I'd like to start working on the design document, but as I wrote
before, I think than, rather than posting it to the mailing list, it
would be better to host it on a Wiki page similar to, for instance,
<https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/PrintfHooksDesign>.

Is this approach acceptable? If so, then I would need some editor to
add me (just registered as "AlbertAribaud" on the Wiki) to EditorGroup.

Cordialement,
Albert ARIBAUD
3ADEV