Re: [musl] RFC: adding Linux vsyscall-disable and similar backwards-incompatibility flags to ELF headers?

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 09:32:22PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>> > That looks like it would be mitigated by not having any mapping there
>> > at all and having the kernel just catch the page fault and emulate
>> > rather than filling it with trapping opcodes for the kernel to catch.
>> >

>> Oddly, that causes a compatibility problem.  There's a program called
>> pin that does dynamic instrumentation and actually expects to be able
>> to read the targets of calls.  The way that Linux handles this now is
>
> Um, do people seriously need to do this dynamic instrumentation on
> ancient obsolete binaries? This sounds to me like confused
> requirements.

Unclear.  They certainly did, and I got a bug report, the first time
around.  That was a couple years ago.

I suppose we could have a sysctl that you need to set to enable that
use case.  OTOH, I think that, as long as we have a way to distinguish
new and old binaries, it's not that much harder to twiddle vsyscall
readability per process than it is to twiddle vsyscall executability
per process.

--Andy