Re: memcmp-sse4.S EqualHappy bug

On Fri, 2015-06-19 at 13:55 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-06-19 at 19:40 +0200, Torvald Riegel wrote:

> > > Just to be clear, if there are data-races in [ab].pointer or [as].start
> > > I see absolutely no problem in stopping short and returning a
> > > positive/negative value. I just do not see how returning 0 would ever
> > > make sense.
> >
> > It would be legal if the invocation of memcmp and at least one of the
> > invocations of memset would be concurrent (ie, not ordered by
> > happens-before).
>
> Nope, sorry , there is a misunderstanding, consider the memsets part of
> initialization, *never* run in parallel with memcmp.

Ah, I see.  I'm not really sure what the rules are in this case; my
guess would be that this is not UB, because the access is not beyond the
object that is struct test.

Perhaps this survey is interesting for you:  https://goo.gl/2TY0H5

> > I do see that this wouldn't be an intuitive outcome if one reasons based
> > on assuming some simplified (or straightforward, or natural, or whatever
> > the personal opinion might be...) implementation.  But a data race is
> > undefined behavior, and that's where we're drawing the line.
>
> Sure, I can understand that is the *whole* are under consideration is
> racing. But here we are talking about a large chunk of the area that is
> different and *never* raced upon.

Well, undefined behavior is not constrained to some "neighborhood" or
such around the cause of the undefined behavior.
It makes sense that the standard doesn't constrain it, because then it
would have to guarantee the constraints and those would require
reasoning about a particular implementation, which a language standard
is meant to prevent :)
Consider a hypothetical GPU that wants to run C code.  It accepts code
in a virtual ISA that requires using special atomic operations for all
memory accesses that would be data races otherwise.  The implementation
of this GPU uses a fast JIT compiler to transform to the native ISA of
the GPU.  Now this JIT ocmpiler detects in a program that a whole page
is compared using memcmp (or a custom memcmp using non-atomics).  It
decides to move this page into local memory, assuming because of the
data-race-freedom requirement that no other thread will write to the
page.  After the memcmp, it will move it back.  But your program isn't
data-race-free, and another thread writes to one byte in the page.  This
byte is then lost when the page is moved back from local memory.

This is a made-up example (although such a virtual ISA is not
unrealistic) and maybe this implementation would try to fail gracefully
instead of just losing the update.  But I think it helps show that it
isn't quite clear in general which constraints would be realistic for
undefined behavior.

> I can accept that the C standard may still decide this is undefined
> behavior even if just one small part of the total area sees concurrent
> modifications, but again, you are returning "short" from the optimized
> code, so it is unclear to me how you can return 0 when the memcmp code
> hasn't checked all the memory, wouldn't it make more sense to return the
> current position ? It is still undefined but at least it won't cause
> false positives.

Yes, that's the second issue: Trying fail gracefully or mask failures in
buggy programs, provided the runtime overheads and maintenance costs
aren't too high.