Re: git commit message conventions

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 06:11:49PM +0200, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:
> > Correct, I just use script to add bug in NEWS and open bugzilla window so that
> > isn't as much problem. Changelogs are likewise generated most of time, I
> > dont have script to extract it from mail, does anybody have one?
>
> Generated ChangeLogs are easy when the change is mechanical, not so
> much otherwise.
>
> >  As far as I recall discussion only Roland found changelogs useful,
> > otherwise it was inertia.
>
> I am pretty sure there were more supporters than just Roland, although
> I can't remember who and I don't care enough to search the archives
> and find out.
>
> Siddhesh

These days, ChangeLogs are not as useful as commit histories for
things that changed last week or last month, but after a year or two,
commit histories get convoluted, sometimes too messed up to interpret
anymore; and after ten years, the ChangeLog is the only record that
has survived multiple changes of version control system, and the
accidental destruction of commit history that happened during one of
the transitions. 1/2 :-)

Stan