Re: Gcc builtin review: memcpy, mempcpy, memmove.

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:41:04AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 10:36 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> >On Mon, 25 May 2015, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:
> >
> >>Andrew as I promised review and what you would need to fix for x64 gcc
> >>  and remove ugly gcc hacks and replace them with nice headers :-)
> >>
> >>I will take a functions in order from string.h and comment about
> >>these.
> >
> >Reviews of optimization issues with GCC built-in functions belong
> >primarily in the GCC context, not glibc at all.
> Agreed.  Trying to address all this stuff in glibc is wrong.  Each
> issue should be evaluated and a determination made individually
> whether the issue should be addressed in gcc or glibc.
>

> Jeff

Ok, I will crosspost issues that needs to be addressed. The main two
problems are that lot of special cases should be handled as ordinary
code, not trying to add extra pass every time you notice that sometimes
you could expand foo into bar and baz. Then there are implementation
details and that correct decision depends on these. For optimizations
you need to know how fast are different libc functions which is easier
checkable inside libc than trying to sync that information in gcc.