Re: git commit message conventions

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 08:31:25PM +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 10:14:19AM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> > I propose that at this point we specifically do not adopt any further
> > conventions regarding how commit messages relate to ChangeLog entries
>
> However, I would love to see us progress to a stage where maintainers
> can simply do a git-am on the patch mbox and push the patch instead of
> manually patching, massaging the ChangeLog, massaging the NEWS file
> and then preparing the commit.  The former will take care of most
> cases where a maintainer may forget to set --author when committing
> someone else's patch.  I try to make sure I do it for all commits, but
> it's happened more than once that I realized that I hadn't set
> --author after I had pushed the patch.
>
> The part of NEWS that usually conflicts (the bug list) ought to be
> generated from bugzilla.  I've said before that I don't find the
> ChangeLog format useful at all, but others have expressed their
> preference to keep it, so that IMO is the only blocker to us following
> the git-am workflow.

Correct, I just use script to add bug in NEWS and open bugzilla window so that
isn't as much problem. Changelogs are likewise generated most of time, I
dont have script to extract it from mail, does anybody have one?
 As far as I recall discussion only Roland found changelogs useful,
otherwise it was inertia.