Re: git commit message conventions

Florian Weimer wrote:
I completely agree, and I think Joseph's proposal goes in that direction.

Then I'm afraid I misread the direction of the proposal.

I don't much care about whether the commit message uses ChangeLog format or some other format. What I find puzzling, though, is the implication that the commit message should differ from the change log and that each should have its own specialized format. We should allow change proposals in the form of "git format-patch" that log the change just once, and not require two or more incompatible formats (commit message, ChangeLog delta, git notes, ...) for the log.