Re: asprintf() issue

On Wed, 13 May 2015, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> My preference is that we set it to NULL. This will aid in debugging as any
> dereferences to NULL will immediately trap. Leaving the value unchanged
> could result in further manipulation of an invalid memory location and
> program corruption.

If we do this, do we then want to

(a) not have a new symbol version; or

(b) have a new symbol version with the old version being an alias of the
new (so that new binaries that may rely on it being set to NULL don't run
with old glibc - similar to the symbol versioning of <fenv.h> functions
whose return type changed from void to int in C99 TC1, for example); or

(c) have a new symbol version with the old version not changing *ptr on
error?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com