TLS, 2015 edition

Through a series of unfortunate events (starting with an infinite loop
in an obscure Java test) I seem to have inherited the async-safe TLS
problem.

>From what I can tell, there has not been much discussion following the
patch reversion during 2.19's release process, aside from the proposal
for a thread properties API:

    https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-04/msg00313.html

So where are things at now?  From the extant discussion, I gather that
there were some fundamental philosophical differences, and not even
much meta-consensus on what consensus might look like.  :-)  Has
anybody spent any time since then, thinking about this?

If there are not any near-term prospects for agreement, I can fall
back to fixing the immediate bugs in the Google-local patch, ugh.

Stan
stanshebs@google.com