Re: [bug-gettext] intl: Proof against invalid offset/length

On 03/21/2015 04:17 AM, Daiki Ueno wrote:
> Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> The patch will use getauxval(AT_SECURE) or __libc_enable_secure (or
>> issetuugid on other systems, but which I cannot test).  It is not going
>> to be very portable.
>
> I see (though I'm a bit confused that you removed the use of
> __libc_enable_secure in CVE-2014-0475).  Can't you use secure_getenv,
> which Gnulib provides a replacement, compare the result with
> the normal getenv, and apply the pathname check if needed?

Hmm, I was under the impression that absolute paths for LANGUAGE were a
supported feature.  If that's not the case, we can just reject directory
traversal and confine lookups to the system locale directory, like we
did for the other locale files.