Re: soft-fp: Adjust call to abort for kernel use [committed]

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, David Miller wrote:

> From: Rich Felker <dalias@libc.org>
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:46:14 -0500
>
> > Could these be replaced by __builtin_trap() or similar? I'm not clear
> > on whether this code is purely glibc+kernel or also used by gcc, but
> > if it's used by gcc too it would be very much preferable not to have
> > libgcc pulling in a reference to abort (this affects -ffreestanding,
> > etc.).
>
> Another thing that occurs to me is that perhaps this can be coded
> in such a way as to cause compile time errors.

Static assertions (again, allowing for older GCC being used to compile the
kernel) may well work for at least some of the cases where it's a matter
of "soft-fp doesn't handle this possibility".  (Subject to making sure the
relevant quantities are always constants; sometimes the kernel may use
non-constant arguments even when glibc and libgcc always use constants.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com