Re: Output of `locale -a` could be in mixed encodings?

On 01/20/2015 09:04 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> We should stop using aliases that are anything but ASCII to avoid
>> future problems.
>
> Yes, that sounds right.  If you comment out the "franÃais" and
> "bokmÃl" lines from locale.alias, I assume that fixes the problem?
> If so, let's do that.  The fancier fixes you mention also sound nice,
> but omitting the non-ASCII aliases should be helpful anyway, for
> programs other than 'locale' itself.

Won't such a fix break existing applications relying on this alias
to operate correctly?

What I need is a way to mark the locale deprecated, accept it as an
alias, but not display it in `locale -a`.

Thus I think the robust backwards compatible solution is just slightly
more complicated.

In that case we would add a `francais` option and hide `franÃais`
and `bokmÃl` but still accept them. We would also add a test to validate
that all of the glibc locales are within ASCII.

Did I miss something?

Cheers,
Carlos.