Re: Backtrace_symbols and .symtab

On 10/24/2014 06:28 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On 10/24/2014 09:44 AM, Yury Gribov wrote:
Sure, this will be a separate API because we don't want to slow
existing users. So either add some flags parameter or a completely
new function.

I don't oppose a new backtrace function does a more complete job
if .symtab is present.

I agree with Steven Munroe that the existing API performance should
remain unchanged in the default case.

However, the proof is in the pudding. What does the design look
like, how complicated is it, does it work, etc.

Got it. I'll get back with a draft patch which illustrates my ideas then (not sure about timing though).

-Y