Re: Proposal to revitalize release branches: Make them cheap, and make them work.

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 08:29:38AM -0600, Adam Conrad wrote:

> With that change, the process for a stable branch cherrypick or backport
> is literally "commit locally, push, forget about it", which sounds like
> exactly how simple we need to make this to make those branches widely
> used.

Oh, one addendum to this.  While I agree that posts to libc-stable should
be automatic for commits to the *stable* branches, I think it was also be
a nice habit to form that when you commit something to trunk that should
be backported, and don't want to take responsibility for that backport
yourself (which would generate the above automated commit mail), a CC to
libc-stable on your libc-alpha commit would be nice.

So, regular commits to trunk, no big deal, no extra work, but a trunk
commit of a critical bugfix or security-related patch, etc, you either
backport to a stable branch *or* CC:stable on your libc-alpha [committed]
message, so those following the stable list will spot it without having
to comb through libc-alpha.

... Adam