Re: Futex error handling

On Thu, 2014-09-18 at 13:39 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 02:26:35PM +0200, Torvald Riegel wrote:
> > > The EFAULT case with
> > > FUTEX_WAKE, and which I claim FUTEX_WAKE_OP avoids, is when the atomic
> > > operation on the futex int that's associated with the wake allows
> > > another thread to synchronize and determine that it may legally
> > > destroy the object before the actual wake is sent. FUTEX_WAKE_OP can
> > > fully avoid this by performing the atomic operation after looking up
> > > and locking the futex hash bucket, so that there's no further access
> > > after the atomic and thus no opportunity for fault.
> >
> > Agreed; that like what UNLOCK_PI does.  However, and that's something
> > I've only thought about recently, it would be good to know which
> > guarantees the kernel gives in this case; in particular, what happens
> > (and which error code results) if there is destruction and potential
> > unmapping etc. of the futex variable concurrently with WAKE_OP or
> > UNLOCK_PI being in flight.
>
> I've RTFS'd and my understanding is that no such problems are
> possible. The futex hashing (note: there are two futex address
> arguments and both are hashed, even if they're equal; this should be
> optimized on the kernel side to make FUTEX_WAKE_OP practical) and
> locking of the resulting hash buckets happens before the atomic
> operation is performed. After the atomic operation, the bucket is
> walked and matching waiters are woken.
>
> In theory it's possible that, as soon as the atomic operation is
> performed, the backing (file/anon/whatever) is destroyed and its
> underlying id (e.g. inode number) is reused, so that the backing
> identified for the original futex address has been reused by this
> time. However, it's not a problem because a new waiter can't arrive
> while the hash bucket is still locked -- so such a new waiter can't be
> woken.

I don't disagree with what you said (but I haven't looked at all the
source).  The point I was trying to make was that the current
implementation is not a guarantee -- if we rely on this then we should
request the kernel to document that this is allowed usage; that's the
only way to make sure this keeps working.